Thursday

In this blog I try to focus on products, ads or whatever else I find that tries to bamboozle, mislead or deceive people. I don't get into politics because that topic is full of spam, scam and misinformation. However....

I got the following email and thought it was thought provoking. It is certainly skewed I will tell you that upfront but it does make for interesting dialogue. I have added some editorial [my comments] for added spice.

Conservatives and Liberals.
Random Thoughts On The Difference.

If a conservative doesn’t like guns, they don’t buy one.
If a liberal doesn’t like guns, then no one should have one.
[But isn't it crazy that neither can agree on accountability and severely punish violent criminals? Recently in Africa I learned from a game warden that poaching had been stopped completely in one park. Amazing I thought and how wonderful. "How did that happen after decades of failed programs?", I asked. The warden told me that the a law was passed and the word put out that anyone carrying a weapon in the park would be shot! Tourist and those using the park properly had no problem with this. After several criminals were shot, they quit too. Now there is much to discuss here but I shared this to make the point that accountability works.]

If a conservative is a vegetarian, they don’t eat meat.
If a liberal is, they want to ban all meat products for everyone. [We have a vegan in the family so this one was funny....tough buying for 2 separate menus but on the good side we as a family are eating better....but don't pass the humus just quite yet. Bad products can be made illegal but legislating behavior is a slippery slope and I don't think good can come from it long term]

If a conservative sees a foreign threat, he thinks about how to defeat his enemy.
A liberal wonders how to surrender gracefully and still look good.[an element of truth... but blown out of proportion. This brush is too broad to be certain. Will the hawkish conservatives admit to being belligerent sometimes? I would like a modern Teddy Roosevelt]

If a conservative is homosexual, they quietly enjoy their life.
If a liberal is homosexual, they loudly demand legislated respect.[I am against any group trying to push their values, mores or views on the world and in this case it seems like we get a lot of just that. ANY sexuality is A CHOICE... lets keep it that way. But some choices are wrong and should not be allowed particularly those involving children! The good news is we can turn off the TV and enjoy engaging in conversation...and WE can VOTE if an issue comes to that]

If a black man or Hispanic is conservative, they see themselves as independently successful.
Their liberal counterparts see themselves as victims in need of government protection.[is there an entitlement mind set? yes--we have all experienced it or seen its effects on people. Is their a "you owe me" mind set?--yes, I bet we've all experienced this. Is there government abuse? Most definitely! To change all this we all need to engage in the electoral process and don't let politicians obfuscate the issues. Start small--make progress and grow. We don't have to eat the whole elephant at once]

If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him.[Hyperbole!!Both liberals and conservatives talk too much and personally should do more...get involved and help others. It is really great. And, while you're passing out food or stacking cans at the food bank have a meaningful conversation about some of these things-try to learn from someone else]

If a conservative doesn’t like a talk show host, he switches channels.
Liberals demand that those they don’t like be shut down.[yeah I think this is true. The fairness doctrine discussion is silly (and potentially dangerous) since its the government geting involved. I like to listen to Public TV,Fox and MSNBC(yea TIVO)some are consistently good others are just outrageous. It has been my experience that MSNBC likes to chide and mock rather than engage in meaningful dialogue, I have seen FOX people talk over guests and the list could go on--it really does not matter because I can chose what I want to watch. Bottom line, if you don't like liberal or conservative radio/TV CHANGE THE CHANNEL but I think its good to listen to different views. I draw the line when they are malicious or condescending that type of mean spirited reporting is useless..IMHO]

If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn’t go to church.
A liberal wants any mention of God or religion silenced. [I agree and would add that there those that do not like our national heritage and therefore try to rewrite it or eliminate it. Freedom of religion is part of our heritage and should be left that way, no one is required, harangued or cajoled into following or obeying any religious or belief system- so get over yourself. If there is an expression of faith in a historical context leave it alone--hey maybe you'll learn something from it. On a personal growth note, if this is something you get bent out of shape about you may want to look into the research that convincingly shows that a person with a spiritual side to their life lives longer and is happier than those that don't. Don't blame me that is what the research shows]

If a conservative decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it.
A liberal demands that his neighbors pay for his.
[a needed change...but a case study for how government can screw it up and how people can mouth off about it without having done their homework. I would strongly recommend everyone read this blog post: http://www2.wholefoodsmarket.com/blogs/jmackey/2009/08/14/health-care-reform-full-article/


Well I hope that was interesting. Send me an email if you'd like to chime in or post a comment.